So, the long anticipated chop has been made and my head is now 12 inches lighter! A HUGE thank you to friend and excellent stylist Sunny Salmon for making the cut! Later this week, the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program will be receiving my ponytails to be made into wigs for those suffering from hair loss due to cancer treatments.
My own journey in deciding to donate my hair began in December 2007 when my wonderful Aunt Jennifer was diagnosed with Cancer. I had toyed around with the idea of "hair donation" for a while, but just never committed to it. Somehow the proclamation of cancer makes you think about the brevity of life, and I realized it was time. It's a small thing, I know, but one I wanted to do . . . so the "growing out of the hair" began!
My so-called journey was not difficult - just let the hair grow. What I want to do through this is remember to pray for those going through a very tough journey. Some will be given a second chance at life. Some will show LIFE to others, like my Aunt did. You see, the treatments she endured took their toll and "wrecked havoc" in many ways. Despite the many trials, her beauty and Faith in Jesus Christ thrived! She boldly showed others how to LIVE with true faith and Hope, not only during the Cancer trial, but her entire life. Aunt Jennifer was a devoted Christ follower, passionate God worshiper, steadfast prayer warrior, avid Bible scholar, and wise counselor and friend. God let her come "home" to Him in June 2008, but her testimony remains here on Earth. Aunt Jennifer's testimony is helping my own young boys grasp an understanding of God, heaven, and how Jesus came to save us. They have already learned (as they will verbalize to you) and will regularly talk about how "God made Aunt Jennifer all better, no more ouchies", "Aunt Jennifer gets to live with God", and "Uncle Bruce will get to live in heaven too one day, with Aunt Jennifer and God, because he asked Jesus to be in his heart and life." These conversations have been great catalysts to talk with my young boys about how they can also have a great relationship with Jesus!
So although my "hair donation" journey is complete, the task and encouragement remains to pray for those going through trials and to show LIFE to those we encounter!
Now, without more explanation . . . The before and after!
And some in-betweens for those who care!
Saturday, March 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You look great! Love the short hair on you. So glad to see you have a blog. Can't wait to get a few minutes to read through it!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you had a blog!! yeah!! Your hair looks great. love the cut!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely LOVE It! this is the exact way I want my hair cut..and have gor over a year...waiting for the hubby to jump on board. I recently had four then a few months later, four more inches cut off...is it still 6 for locks of love? B/c if so, I am so doing that!
ReplyDeleteps so excited to see you have a blog!
I didn't know you have a blog either. Love the hair cut and such a neat story behind it.
ReplyDeleteIt is very chic! I love it and now I get to follow your blog!!
ReplyDelete